Felix Stalder on Sat, 5 May 2018 12:13:57 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Please support the first global facebook user strike

On 2018-05-05 11:20, Pirate Praveen wrote:

> I agree if the goal is to learn about facebook's reaction. But you are
> not addressing the root of the problem ie, the whole business model of
> facebook depends on collecting and monetizing the user data. What
> change/response are you expecting from facebook? Do you expect them to
> change their business model?
>
> I think setting up an event in facebook can be helpful to see how they
> react.

In the midst of the Cambridge Analytica scandal, where public and
political pressure has been higher than ever, FB posted another record
quarter, increased its users and profits. It's inconceivable that such a
strike will hurt Facebook in anyway. Not the least, because contrary to
workers striking at a factory, the pain is inflicted primarily on the
people doing the strike, rather than the company.

Also, these are problems, exactly for the reasons Praveen stated, that
cannot be solved by voluntary action, neither on the side of the users
(lack of options, collective action problem) or the company (no
incentives, on the contrary).

The only thing is can achieve is to alert politicians that their
constituents want action, that is, regulation. This assumes that
democracy still works as advertised, which it doesn't, but it's still
worth insisting that it should.

All the best. Felix