Carsten Agger on Tue, 30 Oct 2018 13:50:33 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Interview with Richard Stallman in New Left Review (September-October 2018)

On 10/29/18 3:00 PM, Emery Hemingway wrote:
A fight for economic rights for software workers is a fight for paid/dual
licensing model of open source, and a fight against the entire open source establishment. First against the naive/senile GNU theorists, next the Open Source Initiative, then IBM and Microsoft (they love open source), and then
the Chinese multinationals, who have profited most from an environment of
"free as in free".

As someone who worked as a software worker since 1996, I disagree completely. Using proprietary licensing would not improve our economic wellbeing at all. Companies will always charge their customers as much as possible and pay their employees as little as possible. Using proprietary licenses allow companies to cheat their customers by charging many times over for the same work, but that  doesn't necessarily benefit their employees.

On the other hand, the vast infrastrucutre of free (as in Freedom) tools for whatever purpose makes the life of a programmer much easier and makes us much efficient, which also augments the value of the work we do.

Also, it's interesting and important for the potential democratization of modern technology that we can all download, use and even change absolutely top-notch, state of the art software in a lot of areas.