Carsten Agger on Thu, 1 Nov 2018 11:24:00 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Interview with Richard Stallman in New Left Review (September-October 2018)

On 11/1/18 10:56 AM, mp wrote:

James Scott writes about peasant uprising that one of the first points
of attacks commonly are the offices of documentation/paper holding
bureaucracies: there where power is preserved and managed. That, today,
would be server farms, I suppose.

So, should we really fight to get 'free' software (when it actually
entails destruction and let's be honest, in great part serves to satisfy
our own screen addictions and brain candy obsessions, or, as they call
it, intellectual pursuits)?

That's another question and a valid argument: Do we even want computers to exist at all?

Note, that if we *do* want it, software needs to be free.  And, if we can't avoid them to exist and we need to use software, software also needs to be free.

Best

Carsten