hiya me on Tue, 6 Nov 2018 11:47:22 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> apropos of nothing

This.

Morlock, come back to us.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 6:54 PM tbyfield <tbyfield@panix.com> wrote:
Angela, all —

Felix Stalder and I are the two people who've consistently moderated the
list for the last twenty years. We don't speak for each other, but for
my part the simple and straightforward answer to your question is no:
nettime will not give fascists a platform from which to recruit. If I
see something that clearly crosses any of those lines — there are a
few bundled up in there — I'll stop it first and then we can all
debate whether that was the right thing to do and how to proceed.

In general, Felix and I have avoided laying down any clearly defined
policies at all. While the list isn't what it used to be, the fact that
it's lasted this long suggests that's been a prudent approach. Times are
changing, but I haven't seen anything on the list that seemed to justify
changing that. If you or anyone else see something that seems to cross a
clear line, please say so — on the list or privately, whichever you
prefer.

I assume your question was promoted in part by Bard. Personally, I think
he's a troll. As I said a few days ago, whenever I see his mail my first
reaction is "When's the new book coming out?" — and not because I have
the slightest interests in his wanking. Felix took a more oblique
approach in the same thread ("Complexity and nostalgia," 3 Nov). That's
generally how we've tried to moderate: openly on the list rather than
behind the scenes, and by nudging discussions rather than cutting people
off. We did briefly discuss intervening more directly but decided not to
— yet. But as to your more general question, I'd rather just flip the
bit and moderate Bard on the grounds that he behaves like an asshole
than concoct a formal definition of assholism and then apply that rule
to him retroactively. Nettime has lots of failings, but Bard-like
behavior isn't one of them.

One useful parallel in this context is Morlock Elloi, who stopped
contributing when someone threw a tantrum about his contributions to the
list. I think nettime is a much poorer place for his absence, but
whatever you or anyone else may think of his contributions, note well:
when someone objected, he stopped. Bard, by contrast, fuels negativity
and feeds off it — and the list is a much poorer place for his
presence.

Cheers,
Ted

On 4 Nov 2018, at 1:12, Angela Mitropoulos wrote:

> It is a simple and straightforward question that I would like
> answered. It
> makes no inferences about whether recruitment is effective, or even
> deliberate rather than aesthetic. But I'm grateful for the evidence
> you've
> furnished, dear, about the way in which women are told to calm down
> and
> shut up, no matter the tone they take, so that those who think women
> and
> black people are less than human and not entitled to take up space can
> keep
> ranting on at length about how everyone other than white guys are less
> than
> human. I mean, I'm grateful that you've illustrated the reason why I
> asked
> this question in the first place. That said, I have no interest in
> debating
> this further.
>
> I simply repeat my question, and would like it answered. Preferably in
> the
> negative. But if in the affirmative, then I would like to suggest that
> Nettime be shuttered because any benefit it had for creating a better
> world
> has long past. The world doesn't need a longform version of Gab, or
> Gab for
> that matter.
>
> Angela
>
> On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 at 10:29, Willem van Weelden
> <w.v.weelden@chello.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> dear angela,
>> relax dear.
>> it is ok.
>> noone is recruiting anyone here.
>> chill.
>> best,
>>

>>> On 03 Nov 2018, at 23:04, Angela Mitropoulos <
>> angela.mitropoulos@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> What is Nettime's policy on whether or not it should give fascists a
>> platform from which to recruit?
>>>
>>> Angela
#  distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission
#  <nettime>  is a moderated mailing list for net criticism,
#  collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets
#  more info: http://mx.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime@kein.org
#  @nettime_bot tweets mail w/ sender unless #ANON is in Subject: