Nina Temporär on Tue, 6 Nov 2018 15:37:30 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> apropos of nothing

With all genuine due respect to Ted and Felix for the amount of work that comes with it -
And with appreciation for your reflections on what needs to be changed, Ted, that came in while I was writing this -
How can you seriously all repeat your trust in the moderation poiicies after what happened?

AB’s mails kept coming, even after the super concise and easy-to-grasp comments of Alice and Ian
Had indicated in which direction AB was going -
While my criticism of AB’s behaviour was held back for several hours?

So now that we know that you actively put people on a „moderated status“ I need to ask:

A Nazi gets granted that status only after a long week and many hate mails with many crossed lines, but I was already
On moderated status….for what exactly?

For softly criticising Felix a few months ago, funny enough, on a related topic, when he totally out of the blue used the
Defence of a women as a line of argumentation against someone else?

(Cornelia Sollfrank had posted an online petition, Alexandre Carvalho had replied online petitions „do shitz“, but in no
Way attacked Cornelia - and believe me, had he done so, I would have been there for her. I agreed with Felix on his general
Comments but called employing a defence of Cornelia to lash out Against Alexandre a bit of a „poor stunt“, pointing out that
„Men mostly use this as an argument when trying to discredit other men whose opinions they don’t share or whose territories
They wish to annex“.
If you were serious with your concerns, Felix, that this list doesn’t encourage women enough to speak, why didn’t you answer me or engage in the AB case early enough?)

Or was it my following comment in the same mail that I seriously worried if all hope was lost on this list in relation to online
Activism, and that it felt like everyone has succumbed to a pessimism that only engages in reactive analyses anymore and Professionalising one’s expertise for the education market?

Rendering this into a general question:

Isn’t maybe a fully unmoderated list,
Or an algorithm doing the job
(That probably would have grabbed AB by his extinction-endangered balls immediately),
Better than a system
That is only as good as the gender/race literacy and sensitivity of its moderators,
Respectively as the sensitivity of their egos?

(Yes, I am a big fan of "Auge/Maschine" by Harun Farocki, and its accidental, unintended message:
Humans appear as annoying, loud, clumsy creatures, while the machines softly, calmly and tenderly
Do their job, only what they are asked to do, and nothing on top of it. ;))

Best, N