Dan S. Wang on Fri, 9 Nov 2018 01:34:43 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Fascist "trolls" and back on track

Thank you, Angela.

Until Ryan singled out the tasteless and revealing remark about
Charlottesville, it hadn¹t registered for me. Why not? Because in Bard¹s
response addressed to me, his first line about my post being "so very very
brilliant" put me off to the extent that I didn't even read the rest of
it. I had seen enough to engage directly. My desire was to throw some
thoughts, spun out from that  thread, for the list at large. My references
to Bard's lines and "arguments" were, I hope, taken as intended. Which is
to say, with an edge of ridicule.

The fascist shibboleths regarding identity politics can be dispensed with
and I thank Ian, Alice, Angela, Ryan, Ted and others for clearing this
space of that. I, for one, would be grateful to have the conversation
continued about the genesis of identity politics in various national
contexts, and its contemporary usefulness--or dysfunction. Without the
fascist Bard. So, back to the irregularly scheduled programming:

Here is an observation about the Millennial activist US subcultures to
which I have been exposed. In my experience both in activist and teaching
settings, today's twenty-somethings have an understandable fascination
with the 60s/70s period, of course as I did. Their relationship to a
comparatively more distant time is itself interesting to me, and, I would
say, presents challenges that sometimes are not met productively.

(Let me say here, before I get accused of hating on the kids, that the
young people are our hope in the US. GenQ, I call them, for Generation
Queer--the POC/mixed/queer rad youth who were the first ones out in the
streets in a rage on election night in 2016, the ones who are knitting
together causes and constituencies as intuitively as they take to the burn
of
the tattoo gun, the ones who are feeling the despair of climate
catastrophe in ways a 50 y.o. like myself cannot even imagine--and yet
press on, with a general kindness toward each other that I never expressed
as a young person. I am critical but that doesn't lessen my admiration. Btw
I have a 22 y.o. daughter, so I am not entirely personally disconnected to
the new generation.)

There is now a social movement canon in place that was not yet established
in my 80s student days; we were still living through a hangover period.
Many of the figures vaunted today as legend were still out and about, no
longer on the lam, resurfacing to haunt the college lecture circuit, and
still raising
ruckuses in perfectly human--which is to say, contradictory ways. On many
levels it was easier in the 80s for young activists to feel a continuity
with the old guard, people who were no more heroic than we
potentially could be. The fact that overall life conditions, particularly
around information technology and other kinds of speedy mobility, had not
made the quantum departure it would in the late 90s, also had the effect
of linking us to the earlier radicalisms, even with movements in retreat,
even when we were reacting against their excesses and blind spots.

For younger people now, the gap between the 60s/70s and the present day
must feel like the chasm between myth and reality. And yet, those are the
go-to touchstones. Panthers, SDS, Malcolm, Stonewall, etc etc. The
beginnings of those movements, the full expression of those figures and
projects, remain inspiring. But it is in the defeats, failures,
cooptations, and disintegrations that the most valuable lessons lay. The
decline of the mass movements--and parallel opportunism of the right
wing--is missing in the received history. The reason for this? My take is,
liberal mainstream education seeks to include a diversity of narratives
but depoliticizes them. Thus, what gets taught--and consequently
internalized--is a moral narrative rather than a political one. For
example, it is the moral analysis of the Civil Rights movement that gets
emphasized in US high schools, not the problem of political powerlessness.
So US history gets taught as a forward march of moral progress, not a
back-and-forth contest over resources and labor.

The reduction of politics to a question of good and bad people deeply
afflicts radical political subcultures in the US, and I see it
particularly in the younger generation. I do not dismiss such moral
calculations at all, but I do think they can be destructive to
movement-building when the pseudo-politics of moralism play out in close
range, producing conflict horizontally among would-be allies, and not
vertically, leaving those who hold positions of 'power-over' untouched.
That the pseudo-politics often deploys a discourse of identity is where my
afore-described 80s context for the rise of identity politics would be
helpful, I think--to reclaim identity politics for it was and always will
be: a reserve well of power located in the deeply personal (a kind of
incipience, Hardt & Negri would call it) that even slavery could not
eradicate, and from which we may build out the broad tide of insurgency
that vastly
overflows the personal.

My critique of Haider's book is that he draws almost exclusively from a
fairly distant past for his models of a new class politics: Combahee River
Collective, etc. He makes no argument for present day models, does not
outline a potential model for today's conditions (even as he makes clear
that the Occupy movement held promise), and largely skips over the
'movement of movements' of the Zapatista-inspired 90s.

I think it is appropriate for Nettime, being a living relic of that 90s
moment, to be grappling with the question of new class formation now, i.e.
a class meaningless without POC/womyn/genderqueer/migrant leadership at
its very center--but that will, given the logics of oncoming plurality
math (first in the US, then in Canada, Australia, and European countries)
need to include for full political strength white segments beyond the
already 'woke.'

Any perspectives from actual 20-somethings would be most welcome, of
course!

Yours in infinitely divisible social difference,

Dan w.