Joseph Rabie on Tue, 5 Mar 2019 11:30:39 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Cyberpunks who were right about everything, but so what

We look upon computing as ubiquitous and all-encompassing, which of course it is.

But this was preceded by the mainframe, very big, very rare, with the authority of science and its priesthood of programmers. Each unit confined to a building all of its own. More representative of bureaucratic institutional control than capital, which came later.

In the sixties mainframes were decried as a major symbol of the modern, dystopic state.

Relative to which personal computers (coming in the wake of the Whole Earth "ecology") were seen as a force of liberation. As Apple said, "Think Different!" -- which as corporate utopist propaganda might even have been half sincere, at a time when Microsoft was the devil incarnate.

Today, Microsoft passes as a benign (?) grandfather and Apple says "Think Apple!"

Joe.