Luke Munn on Thu, 21 Mar 2019 20:12:24 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Fwd: Christchurch and the Dark Social Web by Luke Munn

(and the reply to florian. these might be too belated to pick
discussion up now but posting for posterity ;-)

Thanks for the Q Florian. Yes agreed that 8chan is "the least
algorithmically regulated social medium", but I see 8chan as the 'end
of the line' in terms of an extreme right position, one that maybe
very few reach. What's more interesting to me are the larger masses at
the mid-points of this journey, and how they might be shunted along
it.

As I mentioned in my reply to Francis (which seems to have gotten held
up in moderation), the concept of the dark social web tries to show
how a smooth transition through this space is possible, for example
from gaming to gamergate and YT mens-rights vids, from gamergate to
the alt-right and its anti-sjw 'ironic' racism, from the alt-right to
the 'power levels' and dog-whistles of subreddits, etc.

I want to push back against the demented loner who visits the
'cesspool' of 8chan and consider instead the mass of young white men,
for example, that see themselves as normal, everyday, 'decent' people
holding the line against the libtards. In other words, the question
for me becomes how did you arrive at 8chan?

-best, Luke