Ariston Theotocopulos on Sun, 7 Apr 2019 10:27:58 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Not Brexit

The UK press this morning seems to be under the impression that the possibility of 'no-deal' Brexit has receded, but it seems to me that this situation has too many moving parts to have any such certainty.

But right now I'm going to offer the idea that no-deal Brexit isn't to be feared - not because it will be fine, but because it will be absolute chaos, with everything from stranded holidaymakers to financial panic. The immediate result would be the UK parliament signing up to the existing withdrawal agreement within days.

This taste of madness followed by humiliating climbdown would be a historic defeat of the UK right-wing and all that WTO rules bollocks. I wonder which players in this drama are also thinking along these lines...

Ariston Theotocopulos