Jaromil on Sat, 13 Apr 2019 14:58:06 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Free Ola Bini

dear nettimers,

As some of you may know already, Ola Bini is detained in Ecuador since
more than 24h now, he was caught in the airport before boarding a trip
to Japan that he had planned since long time already to follow up on
his studies.

I am very much concerned by the current circumstances and would like
to call all of you to take action as we need to build pressure against
the Ecuadorian government.

Ola is an outstanding contributor to innovative free and open source
software solutions for privacy, among them also the v4 of OTR. There
are two facts that I believe are important to be taken into account
about the current circumstances:

1. Ola's detention is based on a rather ridicolous "evidence of a
   crime" that should concern many security researchers and privacy
   activists: the Ecuadorian police statement reads that he "travels
   too much to neighboring countries and reads technical books". While
   theis seized all his work tools, this accusation partially rests on
   his possession of books like "Cyber War" by Richard A. Clarke
   https://twitter.com/avilarenata/status/1116916943099969536

2. Ola Bini is a cybersecurity professional on the advisory board of
   the flaghship European project DECODE (grant nr 732546) on advanced
   cryptographic and privacy by design research for data ownership and
   technological sovereignty (see https://decodeproject.eu). The
   illegal detainment of Ola Bini is damaging research lead at the
   European Commission. As technical coordinator of the project I am
   deeply concerned by his incarceration and tampering with his
   professional possessions, which may also contain confidential
   materials belonging to our project. His detainment is not only
   unjustified, but is producing serious damage to European scientific
   research. This statement is also approved by DECODE general
   coordinator Francesca Bria.

Here you find the statement released by Ola's attorneys in Ecuador
https://goatsing.wordpress.com/2019/04/13/press-release-on-the-detention-of-ola-bini-2/

Here some sources of information to monitor
- https://twitter.com/freeolabini
- https://twitter.com/avilarenata

To get in touch with the #freeolabini legal support coordinators
please email: olabinilegal at riseup dot net

The blog of Ola's Ecuadorian organization "CAD"
https://autonomia.digital/blog/

Please help us mobilize in sopport of Ola! many thanks

--
  Denis "Jaromil" Roio      https://Dyne.org think &do tank
  Ph.D, CTO & co-founder    software to empower communities