Flick Harrison on Sat, 4 May 2019 00:59:12 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Shame of going against the tribe

Honestly, his kind of talk, just like Bard's, actually chases people off the list who might contribute something worthwhile.  This isn't conjecture, but I've been told directly.   If we're sitting here analyzing network culture, let's start with our own.

I like the stuff I learn to think about here, and sometimes I even feel informed & inspired enough at the same time to chime in... seems a shame to degrade it.  As McDonald's says in their training videos, if our place doesn't serve people's needs they won't complain - they just won't come back.

There's no shortage of old-boys-club spaces in the marxist / tech / critical thinkosphere, where "Oh he's just being him" is an excuse to let bigots and grumps sour the social atmosphere for people who might need a little more enlightened discourse than grumpy ranting about "evil leftists."  I mean, are we on 4chan or something?

We can individually killfile someone but that won't prevent newbs from coming in and thinking that's the kind of talk this place is for.

I don't really know what the solution is, except to confront it.  But not all of us have nothing to do all day but rant on Nettime... ;-0

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 3:29 PM Jaromil <jaromil@dyne.org> wrote:
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019, Joseph Rabie wrote:

> Perhaps Morlock should be given the choice between coming out - that
> is to say, no longer hiding behind a pseudonym - or he should be
> asked to leave.

Has been a while since I spew my few poisoned bytes on the matter, not
without regret as in some romantic past I did enjoy the caustic mood
Morlock shared; and a certain taste for humor-noir (Andre' Breton
style?)

However, times have changed and the same cynical rethoric about iphone
and martini people has moved on different shores and topics, where the
blame is for supposed "SJWs" and the very term of social justice is
derided. I am afraid there will be more similar mutations and more
occasions for us to be disgusted.

However, there is no more mystery around who Morlock is. Not that it
would really make interesting news, nor anyone would jump on the
chair, however sooner or later someone will out him.

Not me. But I second Brian of course, Morlock's stuff rots the list.
The dark /dev/null corner in my procmail recipe is ready, but I don't
dare to put him there just yet, hoping one day the bar rises again.

ciao
#  distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission
#  <nettime>  is a moderated mailing list for net criticism,
#  collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets
#  more info: http://mx.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime@kein.org
#  @nettime_bot tweets mail w/ sender unless #ANON is in Subject: