Alice Yang on Mon, 10 Jun 2019 16:18:54 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Maker Movement is abandoned by its corporate sponsors; throws in the towel

Responding to this because of the last call for lurkers to participate more :)

I became of the maker movement through education and saw it mostly as an education trend, which meant that it was a bunch of millennial and gen x people trying to read what gen z wants and needs for the imaginary future.

in my experience with gen z, they’re not that interested in robotics and technological diy projects are. their parents are, because it fuels a fantasy of both nostalgic authenticity and grassroots technological crafting. I would compare it with the 8 bit aesthetic.

Gen z just seems interested in technology in a different way. most of the middle schoolers didn’t get the concept of attaching a document to an email because they don’t see the internet as a place with parts. However, they’re very good at creating unique subcultures using the constantly shifting language of the web. also, they’re already better at checking out so they don’t have to fetishize pre technology.

IDK, could just be talking out of my ass. But making your own robots have always seemed like the type of project parents force on their kids who would rather be playing fortnite or building their social media brands.

ʅ(◞‿◟)ʃ