Kat Braybrooke on Tue, 11 Jun 2019 13:30:41 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Maker Movement is abandoned by its corporate sponsors; throws in the towel

Hello all, and thanks to Chris for the extra heads-up,

I'm also usually a lurker here rather than an active participant - but so many interesting points have been made that I had to share my small 2c.

As Chris mentions, my own work with Adrian Smith and the Journal of Peer Production [1], with Tim Jordan [2] and others has examined unexpected manifestations of maker cultures, especially those outside of the U.S. Silicon Valley bubble, and in particular the power relations of spaces for making themselves. I am especially interested in (and continue to be inspired by) how these encounters provide grassroots communities with opportunities to 'hack from within' by virtue of their relations with institutions.

My PhD research into spaces for making in large museums in London like Tate, for example [3], found that while it may appear at first that the spirit of the U.K.'s early maker cultures of the 1990s and 2000s are co-opted when they are diffused into institutional territories (a point easily made when we look at the legacies of Make Magazine, Tech Shops and other U.S. diffusions) this is not necessarily the case in other regions - because the circumstances of their practices, and the histories by which they have emerged, are different.

I thus find it less than constructive to generalise the future(s) of a diverse (and often conflicting) set of materially-engaged cultures and subcultures of maker/crafter/fixers who work in myriad settings around the world, each with their own motivations, problems and opportunities. Comparing maker cultures and spaces in China with those in India, for example, will tell us a very different story than focusing only on the state of things in the U.S., the U.K. or Canada. In second-tier cities in China, for example, certain maker/crafters are increasingly working to articulate what a 'circular economy' might look like in ways that reimagine the production-consumption models of their own local contexts, rather than those suggested by Western actors - and because I feel there is something important to be learned from this, I will be returning to Chengdu this July with a team of makers/researchers to examine the possibilities further.

I've appreciated reading everyone's thoughts on this thread, as it is very close to my heart also. Like Garnet, I will really welcome the emergence of post-Make projects and gatherings that explore the open source / grassroots sides of maker culture(s), and support the already-existing work of communities who are envisioning making/crafting/fixing practices on their own post-hegemonic (and quite possibly other-than-Western) terms.

- Kat

Kat Braybrooke | @codekat | codekat.net
Visiting Scholar | IRI-THEsys | Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
PhD Candidate | Digital Humanities Lab | University of Sussex