Graham Harwood on Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:09:09 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Maker Movement is abandoned by its corporate sponsors; throws in the towel

Garnet, Tom and all

Thanks for that contribution - it unfolds maker from a north American
perspective and would be happy to hear about the historical connections.
I'm always in ore of how North Americans share - whatever you want to
make fix - deconstruct their is always an enthusiastic North American on
youtube.  Thanks also for Toms comments on class, squatting and free
parties and sound systems. It has revived this conversation for me as I
thought we would see the usual silence pregnant pause after the word
class is mentioned. Without wanting to stray to far

"The maker movement is somewhat significant in that it highlights how
alienated contemporary western culture has become from the manual craft
of building your own objects, and how wholly absorbed it has been
enveloped in consumer culture. The maker movement works counter this
alienation"

I think Maker Magazine did little to address the implicit alienation
involved in technical objects. In part because the genealogy of the
alienation and technical objects problem reveals other politics. The
implicit alienation involved in technology enslaving humans is a
recurrent European theme in popular films “It is out there, it can’t be
bargained with, it can’t be reasoned with, it doesn't feel pity or
remorse or fear, and it absolutely will not stop…”(1984, Terminator) It
appears in popular science  Stephen Hawking “...automation of factories
has already decimated jobs in traditional manufacturing, and the rise of
artificial intelligence is likely to extend this job destruction deep
into the middle classes, with only the most caring, creative or
supervisory roles remaining.” And appears in the weird and eerie
machines of Boston Dynamics, a USA military funded robotics company,
that has been working hard to propagandise an approach to robotics and
marketing that encourages anthropomorphism in machines, that will
eventually autonomously kill. This form of alienation finds its mirror
in technology as slave, appendage, tool, agent of our will to order the
material universe through an extension of skill, thought, sense.

An important and vital part of this alienation is the notion of the
slave found everywhere in technical master slave systems. A Slave in
Classical Greece times was seen as techne and the slave masters of old
thought they could replace the rebellious black bodies through technical
process.(introduction of steam engines in sugar plantations) Both
technology as slave or enslaver place technology outside of the
consideration of it being treated as essentially human. Both forms have
been described as implicit or explicit alienation by Gilbert Simondon in
On the mode of Technical Objects and Lewis Mumford in Pentagon of Power
tried to address this issue around the middle of last century. In
different ways they both thought that this alienation would allow
powerful groups to use technical forms to construct different versions
of societies of control. What I'm trying inarticulately to say is that
the interconnections of slavery and technical objects  needs to be a
theme of critical technical practice. Alienation can be sidestepped for
now by considering technical objects as social cognition in the way that
Hutchins see's it "Cognition in the Wild", or how we become
collaborative with machines to make different organisms in a more then
human world.

On another note - concerning consumerism. Gong farmers, Nightmen,
Dustman, sewage workers and refuse(d) collectors have worked tirelessly
in the shadows of history struggling to get rid of dirt, seamlessly
removing it to where it offers to be less threatening, toxic and
polluting or at least they remove it from the eyes who inhabit the
idealised urban scape - this also includes those gadgets that are
readily discarded. Contemporary capitalisms waste can be thought of as
an intentional part of the productive cycle of consumerism. (See Brookes
Stevens 1968 -> planned obsolescence) Consumerism itself of course is a
stand in for a system that allows individual identity to be formed and
reformed by the products consumed. Waste disposal is what, invisibility
makes the modern possible while banal fecal taboo's aid such a process
to create a phycology that keeps waste and those who work it in the
shadows. This excreting down stream so to speak, makes visible a
clearing, a modern hygiene, enabling a separation of the ordered city
(the new gadgets that make me me today) from chaotic nature, human from
their animal selves.

On a different note, I'm not sure what kind of penetration Rasberry Pi's
made in north America but in my local area the Southend Linux Users
Group ran Raspberry Jams which brought together critical makers, school
age geeks, circuit board manufacturers. The gender and age mix was
relatively good and they could have anything from 200 to 500 people in
attendance - they were led by Derek Shaw (I can put you in touch if that
useful) Another important seam was The Next Five Minutes events that
took place in the Netherlands in the late 90's  I think that where I met
Jaromil. Another interesting development is a Critical Maker book being
put together by Loes Bogers among others at the The Institute of Network
Culture which Geert Lovink manages. Another flavor of critical making
was the recent departed Ilya Li in Tiawan who helped facilitate many
networks and east west linkups.

hope not too far off topic

--
Mondays to Wednesdays
Dr Graham Harwood, Reader in Critical Technical Practice