Donna Holford-Lovell on Thu, 27 Jun 2019 14:30:30 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS – AUGMENTED REALITY ART COMMISSION

Augmented Reality Art Commission, NEoN Digital Arts Festival: REACT

Deadline for submissions: 31 July 2019. For exhibition beginning: 4 November 2019

Artist Fee £2000 (inclusive of research and production costs and any licensing fees)

From 4 – 10 November 2019 the NEoN Digital Arts Festival in Dundee, Scotland will be focused on the theme “REACT”, exploring how artists use digital systems to effect change within our social and political realities. We are now seeking proposals for a commissioned project utilising AR and mobile technologies inspired by NEoN’s theme.

Many artists involved in digital arts are also part of communities of activists reacting and responding to local, national, global, social and political crises (raising awareness around issues of environmentalism, gender equality, exploitation, colonialism, militarism, emancipation, etc.). REACT will be a platform to present and critically examine the relevance of present practices, theories and strategies – to engage an uncertain future through an exploration of the creative potential of digital art.

We are particularly interested in works that function at street level utilising AR to engage protest, activism, agency and radical design in challenging and activating participants. We are specifically seeking to commission a new work using augmented reality that is participatory/interactive and freely accessible via android and IOS devices. We are interested in proposals that engage the local and/or the global (the AR project could be specific to Dundee or be utilised anywhere – as long as the project premieres in Dundee as part of NEoN REACT 2019).

The commission will be launched as part of NEoN Digital Arts Festival 2019: REACT, and NEoN will host the project for the duration of the festival.

Schedule
Open Call announced 24 June 2019
Deadline for proposals 31 July 2019
5-8 August – follow up conversations where necessary (by email/phone)
16 August – decision made, artists informed and announced
3 September – selected artist give progress report
1 October – selected artist to give second progress report (including confirming details relating to the work’s launch/exhibition, taking account of any timelines for testing and app store approvals for instance)
4 November – Work launched at opening of NEoN Festival, Dundee.

Visit our website for the full submission details https://northeastofnorth.com/call-for-submissions-augmented-reality-art-commission/

Donna Holford-Lovell
Director
NEoN (North East of North)
Unit 5, Vision Building
20 Greenmarket
Dundee, DD1 4QB

www.northeastofnorth.com

NEoN is a charity registered in Scotland SC043355
Company No 429857