Molly Hankwitz on Sun, 30 Jun 2019 17:45:58 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Fwd: Re: Nettime is in bad shape. Let's see if we can change it.

Forwarded on behalf of Nina

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: "Nina Temporär" <nina-temp@gmx.de>
Date: Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 3:59 AM
Subject: Aw: Re: <nettime> Nettime is in bad shape. Let's see if we can change it.
To: Molly Hankwitz <mollyhankwitz@gmail.com>

Hi Molly,

Thanks, I have a similar perspective ,  but wasnt allowed to post it on nettime - unfortunately it seems that disallowing Andreas to disseminate Standard sexist phrases like I Would probably have no other topics than sexism, has put me on a watch list.

So, even if we have different opinions about JA, Would you mind forwarding this? (see below, only that Part. ) Thanks!

I am esepecially concerned about this new regulation ruling out the big names, as Ted and Felix explicitly came  up with it after I asked them for help in relation to the onlist sexism and racism and  offlist Harrassment by JA disciples (no big names) I was exposed to after critisizing JA. But the current development is nothing I Would have endorsed - it doesnt heal the racism of a Morlock Elloi, it only leads to the big names writing privately somewhere Else, which is a pity. I mean, the amount of New people writing here is great, but I dont see why both couldnt coexist.

Best N

My mail that didnt get through:

 I wasn't in favor of the priniciple of disallowing
the people who usually write here to continue with the same frequency. They probably now simply discuss in private, elsewhere.

But I think it's great that so many "new" people are writing here.

Saying nettime would have lost its quality is an insult right into the face of these people. And not even true. And sometimes phrasing new perceptions needs a while - and is a courageous endeavour -
whereas following beaten paths of the discursive findings of paßt decades might gleam with terminological perfection, but reveal at best only extra layers of outdated truths.
Especially in the field of tech/media one should always be aware of this - even more so, as not only the technology we are using is rapidly changing, but also the brains of new generations suceeding
as recipients of these.

That said, I always did like the discourse the nettime Community was known for, and I'd regard it as a loss if it was impossible for both to co-exist here. But trying to artificially presevere only that one approach here feels like calling for it to become an exhibit in the museum of natural history, with its own display, boxed in under glass, and with its protagontists guaranteed a part in the next sequel of "Night at the Museum"... (although that'd be kinda cute).