José María Mateos on Wed, 10 Jul 2019 04:21:57 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> IQ in the infrastructure web

On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 05:15:38PM -0700, Morlock Elloi wrote:

> A comprehensive Italian study "The Political Legacy
> of Entertainment TV" came out recently (available at
> https://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1257/aer.20150958 ), providing
> compelling evidence that TV exposure in young age permanently affects
> IQ and cognitive abilities in general.
>
> It is focused on Berlusconi's Mediaset, and deals with rather large
> samples, covering the influence that happened several decades ago,
> affecting today's adult population. Here are few quotes from the study
> (which should be read in its entirety):

Every time Berlusconi pops up his face I remember this study:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010945208703599

"How Berlusconi Keeps his Face: a Neuropsychological Study in a Case of
Semantic Dementia"

Abstract:

A patient (V.Z.) is described as being affected by progressive bilateral
atrophy of the mesial temporal lobes resulting in semantic dementia.
Vis-à-vis virtually nil recognition of even the most familiar faces
(including those of her closest relatives) as well as of objects and
animals, V.Z. could nevertheless consistently recognize and name the
face of Silvio Berlusconi, the mass media tycoon and current Italian
Prime Minister. The experimental investigation led to the conclusion
that Mr Berlusconi's face was seen as an icon rather than as a face.
This telling effect of Mr Berlusconi's pervasive propaganda constitutes
an unprecedented case in the neuropsychological literature.

Cheers,

--
José María (Chema) Mateos || https://rinzewind.org/