Hoofd, I.M. (Ingrid) on Tue, 21 Jan 2020 22:23:07 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> California Ideology mea culpa

"...are we really so shocked at the sophomoric a biased level of hubris and self-service that underpinned this 25 yr. trajectory - as well as our collectively blind participation? Perhaps FB’s "failure of imagination" may simply approximate a mirror of our own."

Yes, precisely! I've written about this since 2008...

Cheers, Ingrid.

-----Original Message-----
From: nettime-l-bounces@mail.kein.org <nettime-l-bounces@mail.kein.org> On Behalf Of Christiane Robbins
Sent: vrijdag 17 januari 2020 22:09
To: nettime-l@kein.org
Subject: Re: <nettime> California Ideology mea culpa

As read …. very quick response …

mea culpa - this instrument of confession strikes me as one so rooted in the confiteor and contriteness of a Catholic asking for penance - an acceptance of punishment and absolution.

It caused me to circle round to my proverbial question - are we really so shocked at the sophomoric a biased level of hubris and self-service that underpinned this 25 yr. trajectory - as well as our collectively blind participation?  Perhaps FB’s "failure of imagination" may simply approximate a mirror of our own.  To singularly tag this as FB is to deny any of our own participation - whether as part of a burgeoning community or as employees of these expedient companies exporting aspects of our expertise, et all.

A salient point raised is that Civil engineers are licensed - as they are charged w/ protecting our public safety ( physical ) as other other professionals ( Architects, Attorneys, Doctors) who ostensibly protect the public good.  In the absence of any necessary and ubiquitous digital media literacy and agency  and as we emerge from the wading around hip-deep in the arrested development of of High School emotives and directives of software engineer ( Imagineering).  As indicated it behooves us to give critical thought to the field and its responsibilities to the public good.

“  The nerds had ascended, culturally and socially, and had become enchanted with their own virtuous self-image. “

Dare I state, it wasn’t only those aspects of ascension noted, it was also the base fact that divisiveness had been generated by the mere amount of capital - of $$$ -  of salaries of class divisiveness - which dwarfed other professions - outsized salaries,  remunerations and career advances which held a initial promise of a reciprocal offering of public good / responsibility.  Much of this was not realized.  Reportedly, just the opposite.  Despite its mythical MSM illusion - serving as the cover story -  the City of love, the genesis of burning man and the legacy of the Gold Rush, the SF Bay Area embodies that divisiveness …. and, perhaps divine intervention ( its the Catholic in me speaking :)

Much more to be addressed - to be continued … thx!

Chris

> On Jan 15, 2020, at 1:10 AM, Bruce Sterling <bruces@well.com> wrote:
>

> "Our beloved 'California Ideology'!  It's ended in tears!  If only we'd been more Canadian all along!"

<....>