Luke Munn on Sun, 26 Jan 2020 11:43:40 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> DiEM25 Green Paper on Technological Sovereignty

Hence the quotes - I suppose I could have added "ostensibly" in there.

Of course data infrastructures and the wider technological industry are
highly political in constructing imaginaries, appropriating funding as you
noted, aligning with public and private interests, shaping the flows of
data, etc etc. But as I've been reading so much of this industry 'grey
literature' for the last six months, its very much still pervaded by
discourses of performance, efficiency, flexibility, optimisation - with
companies as service providers. So the simple point here was just that it's
interesting to see such issues appear in these kind of practical industry
publications. Of course, this also means deciding how these political
visions will translate into operations, protocols, and processes.
Personally I don't have any great hopes for the realization of Gaia-X but
it does join other recent initiatives in changing the conversation around
data sovereignty / technical sovereignty.

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 at 06:59, Adam Burns <adamb@free2air.net> wrote:

> Data Center and Service providers are attempting to lobby further for
> large amounts of investment planned in Gaia-X, see slick pamphlet here:
>

> https://www.bmwi.de/Redaktion/EN/Publikationen/Digitale-Welt/project-gaia-x.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=4

<....>