nettime's_historical_consciousness on Mon, 3 Feb 2020 14:59:07 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> WiReD: The 10,000-Year Clock Is a Waste of Time

< https://www.wired.com/story/the-10000-year-clock-is-a-waste-of-time/ >

The 10,000-Year Clock Is a Waste of Time

*It's less a monument to long-term thinking than a Gilded Age distraction.*

David Karpf / 01.29.2020 08:00 AM

There is a clock being constructed in a mountain in Texas. The
clock will tick once a year, marking time over the next 10,000
years. The clock is an art installation. It is intended as a
monument to long-term thinking, meant to inspire its visitors to
be mindful of their place in the long arc of history. I think it
is a monument to something else: a profound failure of the
imagination. The clock is a testament to willful blindness, as
today's tech barons whistle past the grim realities of the
oncoming catastrophe that is man-made climate destabilization.
Even worse: It is a reminder that social chaos is never evenly
distributed.

The clock has a handful of names. Some call it the Millennium
Clock, others call it the Clock of the Long Now. Jeff Bezos calls
it the 10,000-Year Clock, and, since he's spent an estimated $42
million to build it inside a mountain that he owns, that name is a
real contender. It was first proposed by Danny Hillis. It is a
memento of sorts, a physical reminder of the brash, sunny-side
futurism that defined the early internet boom. "I want to build a
clock that ticks once a year," Hillis wrote in a 1995 WIRED essay.
"The century hand advances once every 100 years, and the cuckoo
comes out on the millennium...If I hurry, I should finish the
clock in time to see the cuckoo come out for the first time."

Here's how Hillis described the purpose of this project:

     I cannot imagine the future, but I care about it. I know I
     am a part of a story that starts long before I can remember
     and continues long beyond when anyone will remember me. I
     sense that I am alive at a time of important change, and I
     feel a responsibility to make sure that the change comes out
     well. I plant my acorns knowing that I will never live to
     harvest the oaks. I have hope for the future.

It's a nice sentiment. One could almost imagine it as a
counterpoint to the "move fast and break things" ethos that has
defined the past quarter-century of digitally-driven social and
economic disruption. But it is an empty challenge. The Clock of
the Long Now doesn't just invite visitors to ponder the geologic
passage of time; it also offers a pleasant distraction from the
dangerous trajectory of the world we occupy today.

In 1996 (or, as they prefer to write it, 01996), Hillis and a few
Silicon Valley friends formed the Long Now Foundation. The
Foundation got to work on the technical details of building the
clock. What sort of mechanical parts could last 10,000 years? How
would it operate? How would it be preserved? A prototype of the
clock was unveiled in January 1999 in Davos at the World Economic
Forum. It was installed in the London Museum of Science on
December 31, 1999, just in time for the millennium. (The
cuckoo-concept had been swapped for a double-gong effect, with a
clock face that resembles a revamped Starfleet logo.) WIRED
published frequent updates on the project, as the clock drew
praise from the types of futurists who routinely reassure the tech
elite, telling them they are the genius inventors of a better
tomorrow. It is art of, by, and for the ultrarich.

Hillis himself is a computer scientist and inventor, an early
pioneer in the field of parallel computing. In a 2011 WIRED
interview, Hillis was asked how he could justify focusing on the
clock instead of Applied Proteomics, a biotech startup he
cofounded that was meant to accelerate cancer research. "I think
this is the most important thing I can work on," Hillis replied.
"More than cancer. Over the long run, I think this will make more
difference to more people."

Cancer, after all, is a problem of the here and now. Like John
Maynard Keynes said, "In the long run, we are all dead."

Applied Proteomics sold off its assets in 2018, without developing
a commercially viable application. That same year, Hillis and his
colleagues began assembling the clock inside a mountain on Jeff
Bezos' West Texas ranch. Proteomics is a slow-developing field -- no
one has developed a breakthrough commercial application yet.
Construction on the clock is moving forward; cancer will have to
wait.

Kevin Kelly cofounded the Long Now Foundation with Hillis, and has
been one of the Millennium Clock's most vocal proponents. Kelly
was also WIRED's original executive editor, and still writes for
the magazine today. He is a zealous promoter of the brand of
unapologetic techno-optimism that was commonplace in early Silicon
Valley and has only recently fallen out of fashion.

In a 2011 essay for the Long Now Foundation website, an ode to the