sebastian on Fri, 13 Mar 2020 15:23:59 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> coronavirus questions

> On Mar 12, 2020, at 12:05 PM, Eric Kluitenberg <epk@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

> Hi Sebastian, all,
>
> Good questions - though I have not much to say about the (‘radical’?) left. But the schizo-analysis question is interesting:
>
>> On 12 Mar 2020, at 09:21, sebastian@rolux.org wrote:
>>
>> - What is the perspective on coronavirus from the vantage point of
>> Schizoanalysis?
>
> Probably a lot of points could be made, a.o. about the way in which existential territories are compromised by the mental distortions of (over-)reactions to the viral spread. However, for me the most interesting issue that has emerged is to think this through transversally across the ecological registers that Guattari has identified all the way back in 1989, i.e. the material environment, the social relations, and the individual universes of reference (subjective experience). What is missing in the model that Guattari proposed in The Three Ecologies, in general, but even more pressing right now, is the fourth register of nonhuman experience.

<...>

Thank you for this! And with regards to "sceptical by default",
I must say that my own relation with Gaia is not all sunshine,
really. In fact, it is entirely parasitcal - and the same would
hold true for my vegan, non-jetsetting, healthy lifestyle-living
alter ego.

I also don't think that Gaia is in trouble. She can withstand
impacts, eruptions and explosions that would reduce all of us to
dust in milliseconds. Capitalism does not threaten the planet.
It doesn't even threaten the survival of the human species. What
it threatens is the future of human civilization - this long
history of murder, rape and destruction into some 20th century
branches of which (say: logic, physics, cinema, music) i'm quite
invested in, actually.

I'm all for blue skies, and I'd be happy if the reduction in non-
essential travel, pointless work meetings or boring conferences
became permanent. But does this virus create a revolutionary
situation? I don't see it. Maybe I'm looking the wrong way.
I'm not a historian, so I don't know what usually happens when
people are instructed to avoid all social contact.

"All the reasons for carrying out a revolution are present. None
is missing. [...] But it is not reasons that make revolutions, it
is bodies. And the bodies are all in front of screens."

It also all really depends on where you're speaking from. It think
a lot about others, but they are not speaking here, and nobody
else can speak in their place.