Jean-Noël Montagné on Wed, 18 Mar 2020 18:49:41 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Should use mobile phone data to monitor public health

Individual health and public health are deeply monitored by Google,
Facebook and other big-brother companies since decennies, with
thousand algorithms spying our life in real time. They store huge
files about our intimate life, not only with what we say/search online
about the subject, with where we are ( geo-loc at doctors-hosp.), with
what we buy, or with emotion recognition on pictures, but also with
sensors like accelerometers on our smartphones, and also with a lot of
different connected objects around us. Theese datas are pure gold for
them.

Google and Facebook have hundreds top-level researchers working on
health only, in their special Health Divisions, because health is the
biggest of all markets, the best business. They have had organized
real time virus-flu surveys in the past ( there are some scientific
studies on this if you want to know more). And I suppose that our
actual behavioural changes with COvid are also pure gold for them,
because they give very good datas for further business plans in the
Health domain.

Should use mobile phone data to monitor public health efforts ? I
would say: this period is a very good moment to switch off your
smartphone and digital devices... and say piss off to the Gafams

JN