Andreas Broeckmann on Fri, 20 Mar 2020 13:19:58 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Should use mobile phone data to monitor public health

Dear Sean, folks,

thanks for the useful historical references. I've already gone on
record here as being against speculations on who should die in what
way.

I do ask myself, though, about the role of capital, rent, and
interest, in the current crisis. There will be people, here and
elsewhere, in a much, much better position to reflect on this, so
take it as an idiot's question if you like. But: if a major economic
problem at the moment is that people have to pay their rent, or
service the credits and mortgages they took out, why does the State,
under these severe circumstances, currently make such an effort
to help people pay tribute to capital, rather than suspend these
obligations?

I presume that there are many reasonable answers to this, and maybe
it is really stupid and unpractical to even think in this direction,
at least in a situation like the current one which is neither
revolutionary, not truly catastrophic.

The reason why I think the question of private property is part
of the conversation is that my rent-paying yoga-teacher, Felix's
friend-to-hug, and the person lining up outside the gun store, - they
all form part of the cast of the social, psychological and political
scenarios that Felix and Brian are discussing. - I feel it might be
good to be very precise about people's specific interests in this
situation, what they have to lose or to win, and thus also what their
motivation might be for defending it. (And Felix, sorry, but just
because you say "good riddance" to Western individualism, it doesn't
mean that the queue outside the gun store will dissipate, nor will the
desires expressed there...)

Regards,
-a

<snip>