Carsten Agger on Tue, 24 Mar 2020 11:13:03 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> And there must be no bowing down - Today's Eleven

On 2020-03-23 22:34, Patrice Riemens wrote:

> On 2020-03-23 20:57, John Hopkins wrote:
>
> Actually the article specifies that the chloroquine is not a vaccine,
> but a medicine that - allegedly - slows down but does not kill the
> virus, in that is it combats infection. It has been included by the
> State Pharma agency in the provisory treatment plan against Covid since
> it had been administered with good results on patients in China.
>
> If one wants to read the whole article (in Dutch) deepl.com does a good
> job translating to English.

It's important to note that treatment of coronavirus with chloroquine is
still experimental and as such this treatment is not ready at all to be
released to the general public. And releasing medicine too early because
we think they probably work (but haven't documented thoroughly yet) is a
very dangerous strategy, not least during a pandemic.

Clinical trials and in-hospital experimentation *may* show it effective,
but it's at that point we should ask it to be released to GPs etc.

Best,
Carsten