Geoffrey Goodell on Tue, 31 Mar 2020 10:50:44 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Once Again, Online Communications are Heroic

Dear Molly,

I'd like to suggest that the main problem of online communication technology is
not that it is online but that its present form involves platforms operated by
powerful intermediaries (such as Microsoft, Zoom, Google, and so on) who
harvest metadata against the interests of the users of the platforms.

Until online communication is truly peer-to-peer, without control points to
capture rents or profile its users, it will not be an adequate substitute for
human approaches that do not rely upon the blessing of third parties.

Best wishes

Geoff