McCorkle T. Diamond on Thu, 4 Jun 2020 20:46:11 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> what exactly is breaking?

As an observer of the last 45 years in U.S. and local politics (NYC)
I'd propose that "what's breaking" is the denial by the average white
privileged person that the status quo is fair, equitable, and just for
all citizens not just them.

McCorkle Terence Diamond
www.terencediamond.com
646-876-1700

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 2:40 AM Felix Stalder <felix@openflows.com> wrote:

> On 02.06.20 19:48, tbyfield wrote:
> > These kinds of language games aren't as silly as they might seem at
> > first glance, because pop phrases like that hint — as if through a glass
> > or scanner darkly — diffuse assumptions about where we see ourselves
> > historically. A world where people are drawn to seeing anything and
> > everything as *broken* is a world in the past tense; all you can do is
> > *rebuild* — another word that tracks "is broken" with almost hilarious
> > precision...
>
> Perhaps I was unclear, or insufficiently versed US conservative
> rhetoric, but my intention was not inquire about things that
> are broken (and hence in need of fixing) but about historical
> discontinuities, about possible breaks with established patterns that
> open up space for new dynamics, for the better or worse.

<...>