Molly Hankwitz on Tue, 7 Jul 2020 14:42:28 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> discussing zoom fatigue

Annie, Geert

Thank you for this query, Geert, and Annie, for your essays which Ive read
(and shared) with great interest. The Online Preparation essay is
particularly useful as are your images!

I will write something more substantive and longer, but in the meantime,
came across this critique which I thought I would share. A few points over
simplify matters, but the author is spot on on many points Im sure nettime
readers will agree...

>From the publication Academic Matters -
“Neoliberal Response to Covid 19”.

https://academicmatters.ca/neoliberal-response-to-covid-19/

Molly

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 7:43 PM Annie Abrahams <bram.org@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Geert and others,
>
> A few days ago someone with a theater/dance background asked me to write a
> phrase about embodiment in the virtual realm. My answer might be of
> interest:
> *How do I create something lively (image, avatar) with my body that is not
> there but in front of the screen/camera. While in the virtual I am also
> always "here" in my own environment. If you don't consider this shizo
> situation / this "dédoublement" as core, you will always just illustrate
> embodiment.*
> *Your audience has to be "educated" too. If not they will expect an
> equivalent of the stage, which the virtual will never be. They have to
> become aware of the specificities and special possibilities of the virtual
> context. Best way in my opinion is to give them some agency.*

<....>