James Wallbank on Fri, 31 Jul 2020 12:23:28 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Manifestos, Twitter, and Action Against The Autocrats.

Hi Max, Hi Nettime!

Thanks for your response! I certainly think that the analogy you make between the current social/political/cultural conflict and biological systems is highly appropriate. Both involve complex, interlinked systems that exhibit non-linear characteristics.

I think that the key misperception on the part of internet progressives has been encapsulated by the idea of "The Hack". The appealing notion that, with the amplifying power of the network, one clever exploit can enable an individual freedom-fighter to transform the whole system.

Hacks only work with precarious systems. An avalanche will only happen when a snow is piled up, ready to cascade. Dominos will only topple when they're balanced in lines, ready to fall. A bridge will only resonate in response to a wind of a particular velocity if it's poorly engineered.

The systems of power that are being put in place by populist authoritarians are not brittle. They're not precarious. They're not balanced.

A hack will not work.

But that doesn't mean that the individual is powerless. Complex systems, involving many elements, go through phase transitions - raise the temperature of water by 1C and nothing much happens. Unless that 1C is the difference between 99C and 100C.

The phase transitions involved in the socio-political realm are not well understood. But it's clear that they exist. I believe that one is educational, and it connects through to attention. People don't have to BE stupid to ACT stupid. They just need to pay insufficient attention to the problem at hand. Exactly why Formula One drivers don't check their social media while they zoom around the track.

But unlike the autocratic structures of governance that are being built, our individual structures of cognition are surprisingly precarious. We rely on heuristics - cognitive shortcuts that allow us to identify the troll, the bot, the lie, the success. One heuristic is to choose a single news outlet, and decide that they are mostly reliable - you don't have to do the analysis, because they've done it for you! But, as is obvious, these heuristics can be exploited, and it's a huge cognitive load to abandon them.

A recent British phenomenon has been a heuristic exploit that goes like this:

* Announce a policy.

* Fail to deliver success by any measure.

* Celebrate your huge success. Graciously thank allies (and even opponents!)

Here, the Johnson/Cummings Regime has correctly identified that MOST PEOPLE AREN'T PAYING ATTENTION. They aren't able to distinguish between policy success and policy failure. So people use a cognitive shortcut - if the leadership looks like they're look glum and crestfallen, it's been a failure, if they're celebrating, it's been a success. The heuristic has been exploited.

Perhaps better education, greater awareness, more applied critical thinking skills, more news sources, and more diversity of news sources will help. At first, it won't make any visible difference - but there will be a phase-transition, when the public reaches intellectual boiling point. Quite suddenly, the bullshit won't work any more.

This, of course, reflects what you're saying - slow, incremental, and possibly imperceptible responses may be effective in the way that a quick, low cost intervention (made in the hope of precipitating a catastrophic collapse) may not. And in the longer term, if we're not on the case, Gaia certainly is.

All the best,

James
=====