Lorenzo Tripodi on Tue, 4 Aug 2020 16:24:06 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> What does the bridge in the Mona Lisa mean?

Hi Max
According top the Italian common opinion, the landscape in the background of the Mona Lisa is not invented, but is composed of precise points of the Tuscan landscape.
We find the point where the Arno River passes the countryside of Arezzo and receives the waters of the Val di Chiana. The bridge is said to be identical to the Ponte a Buriano built in the middle of the 13th century, which still exists today on the the ancient Via Cassia that connects Rome, Chiusi, Arezzo and Florence. https://www.lamiabellatoscana.it/2017/03/ponte-a-buriano-la-riserva-amata-da-leonardo.html

This Italian article from a regional newspaper in 2011 reports a study by the National Committee for the valorisation of historical, cultural and environmental heritage concluding that the pbridge in the painting is that of Buriano (quoting the previous work of Starnazzi),  and includes also some interpretations about its symbolic significance and numerological hypothesis, although the language used by the journalist makes me quite suspicious, at least about the correct quotation of the  (unreported) sources…

Best
Lorenzo