Geert Lovink on Mon, 21 Sep 2020 08:54:27 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Lev on the embarressment of digital art

Great postings, Brian, Molly, John and so many others.

Lev or no Lev, the whereabouts of new media arts occupy us here, for a reason.

From a political and personal perspective the opening up of a new communication medium offers unheard possibilities. Then things close down and the real struggle starts—in this case against Facebook, Google and other monopolies and state actors that aim to close down the temporary tele-commons that mutlitudes of geeks, artists and activists built up.

Dialectics hurt. The problem is here is that, in order for electronic, video, digital, new media net.art to reach wider audiences it has to be become ‘normal’ (and disguise its technical knowledge) like all other art (as defined by galleries, museums and websites with their curators, critics, editors, journalists).

Does this also mean that specific institutions created to support the x.art need to disappear? Or renamed? Most new media arts programs have already been closed or renamed. There are less festivals, publications, study (and a related rise of the history industries). Do we still need specific niches or shoud we reinvent ourselves and just work on the urgent issues of our times? This is not such an easy question. If only we could just close down Ars Electronica, ZKM, ISEA (and  our own INC first, of course) and then move on…

Take about the ‘platform’ question and its relation to current movements such as BLM… Should we just stop discussing internet politics and pretend that is just all a technological given? We are all aware that digital tech, unfortunately, are not merely tools… But who and where can we study its politics (and aesthetics)?

Lev wrote about his personal aesthetic experience in the age of the digital default. I do not share the fascination for high-production images. I love noise, experimentations, failures and see them a journeys into the heart of matter: the media question, to understand the essence of form, of the material. good art for me not only tells a story and is political but is at the same time actutely aware of the way in which hardware, software and interfaces and related cultures dictate our ways of seeing.

Geert