LORENZO TAIUTI on Sun, 27 Sep 2020 12:24:26 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> LEV MANOVIC & MEDIA ART

I believe this is the strongest & Best discussion on nettime in a rather long time.
I Strongly agree with the “release” of Manovic and his accuse to qualities of products we see around festivals.
The first book i published on Media (Art& Media1996) was meant to relate the experimental and conceptual quality of digital with the historical  avant-gard & its modernist “genes” forever re-appearing.
That was meant to go beyond the feeling of the “Marvels of Technology” of that time.
I do believe digital art may belong to the area of art  that comes straight from Duchamp and friends.
I Believe that we should rather call it “creative expression”.
I believe as well that the creative people working on it do want to get in a museum.
The efforts to define esthetically languages based on digital did not affect the official structure of the museums, till now.
The “Visionaries” we trace in the past experiments (Jeffrey Shaw, Moben, & many others) are the proof of the past vitality of the “Birth of a Nation” of expressive language”.
I believe we should consider the fast change going on in the contemporary art field: the official 35 years of the media art gives little changes compared to the initial explosion.
While the contemporary art is running wildly back and forth its history integrating  several realities and expanding itself on several countries.
Is this related to the slow going of the software industries or?….
Maybe we should stop stamping Art on anything coming out of the digital hub & accept the applied art’s definition for large areas involved in digital.
But who wants to get out of the confortable Umbrella of the “Word” Art ?
P.S.
Does Lev Manovic receive these mails?
P.S.
THE VERY INTERESTING START UP “ACUTE ART” starts well choosing artists.
BUT then: an INTERESTING ARTIST like Oliafur Eliasson can only make a telematic Puffy Cloud?
& An INTERESTING ARTIST LIKE Marina Abramovic can only make a charmless acting in a very obvious call to Ecology Action?
Lorenzo Taiuti