Frédéric Neyrat on Tue, 6 Oct 2020 18:17:44 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Not One

Dear nettimers:

A kind request: I beg to stop speaking about the USA as a consistent, homogeneous, entity, hence judgements about loving or hating "the USA." It really does not make any sense. Should we really utter something like USA = Trump or whoever/whatever?

As a French citizen, should I say: France = Macron = neoliberal authoritarianism? No, I will not do that because I know about the forces and spirits that in France reject this lethal equation.

We should not forget that Trump and his unmasked clones only represent one dimension of the US.

Reducing a country to those who steal its representation is the best way to strengthen their power, the power of the One.

I think it is more interesting, truer and politically useful, to divide countries, be it the USA, Italy (is Berlusconi or Salvini the essence of Italy?), Spain (Franco's ghost is not the essence of Spain, right?), etc., in order to make alternative possibilities appear.

A subject, be it collective or individual, is always divided. The One is an imposture.

Best,

Frederic Neyrat