Rachel O' Dwyer on Wed, 28 Oct 2020 17:00:03 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> a reading list for 'what comes after tactical media'

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to think about an elective for postgraduates of studio art and art theory next semester that looks at network art, and hacktivism after 2015. I think this ties in somewhat with the 'after networks' theme of last year's Transmediale and also to this year's theme of refusal. I'm provisionally titling it 'what comes after tactical media?'

This is not well formed at all yet but I'm considering looking at topics like 'doing nothing' and refusal, care and care ethics, hope and capitalist realism, post-truth, facism, the local and the hyperlocal, critiques of entanglement and decentralisation...
My first thought was to start putting together a reading list to map this space.
I recognise that this is still very broad but wondered has anyone got any suggestions?

For example I had the pleasure of chairing a panel with Eva Giarud at last year's Transmediale that focused in part on her book 'what comes after entanglement' and this is definitely on my list.
also this Basics series book from MIT edited by Maria Hlavajova and Wietske Maas Propositions for non-fascist living: tentative and urgent  and work from Brian Holmes' Unleashing the Collective Phantoms

I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Best and Thanks in advance,

Rachel