Felix Stalder on Fri, 13 Nov 2020 10:14:21 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> why is it so quiet (in the US)

Hi everyone,

I must admit, amidst post-terror assault on civil liberties and covid
cases spiraling out of control here in Austria, the US election drama
has moved a bit lower in my attention, but not that much.

>From what I understand, the numbers show that Trump lost. Period. No
recount will change that.

But, the game of the Republicans is to create so much doubt about the
fairness of the elections (without any evidence) to make it impossible
to certify them in time. Frivolous lawsuits are great at gumming things
up. This would then allow the Republican dominated legislatures in swing
states to appoint their own electors which would bring Trump the
majority. In the mean time, the minister of defense, who previously
refused to send in troops against mostly peaceful protestors, has been
fired and replaced with a loyalist. Apparently, similar moves are in the
wings for the FBI and CIA.

I know, Trump is often portrayed as an incompetent child, and the
strategy is totally outlandish, but the Republican party has shown to be
a pretty ruthless and successful power machine playing both a short and
a long game, and it's exactly the outlandishness of the strategy that is
its strongest point.

In the mean time, the democrats pretend all of this to be irrelevant (an
'embarrassment' at worst) and happily appoint a transition team full of
corporate insiders like it's 1992.

Am I totally misreading the situation?

Felix

--