Rana Dasgupta on Tue, 24 Nov 2020 06:50:10 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Big tech, the return of capital to its C18 supremacy, and the decline of American democracy

Dear Nettimers

Here's a recent essay which owes much to my contemplation of the various conversations on this list.  I apologies: I'm not spontaneous enough to participate in those conversations: I discover only much later what I think, and through writing pieces like this.

https://harpers.org/archive/2020/12/the-silenced-majority/

The assault on American democracy, I say here, is not a matter of personalities or political parties, but a deep-structural concomitant of the return of capital.  In order to understand the forces at work, we would do better ignoring the more obvious, but analytically inappropriate, parallels of Hitler, fascism, etc, and focussing instead on Britain in the eighteenth century.

In this light, today's Silicon Valley giants appear as a significant historical force of both technology and capital.  Both as technological platforms and as new formations of finance and (non-) labour, they are well-adapted to the task of expelling the Western masses from the centre of the world economy, and relegating them to the periphery - where they had been until the C19 or even C20.  Democracy, inevitably, then becomes the big problem - even in the wary, discriminatory form it has assumed in America.

Very best to all