Florian Cramer on Wed, 27 Jan 2021 14:33:54 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> What is wrong the 'Vienna Declaration on Artistic Research'?

Hello Max (& nettime),

Thanks for mentioning literature and asking why it's not included in the debate. (I should add that my own academic background, both as a student and in my  junior academic past, is in Comparative Literature.) Literature is much more firmly established in university academia, even as a research practice, than other arts if one considers university creative writing, composition and poetics departments. This is rooted - if you ask me - in a Western cultural history where grammar and rhetoric, and music, were part of the pre-modern canon of higher arts and sciences while painting, architecture and other visual arts were delegated to the lower ranks of the 'mechanical arts' and crafts.

Here in the Netherlands, for example, art school graduates receive vocational Bachelor and Master degrees that are not accepted by Dutch universities as being equivalent to university degrees. The situation is similar in other EU countries. The 'artistic research' debate thus conflates two things: (a) a longer history of DIY speculative, experimental, poetic research within arts practices (including visual and performing arts), and (b) an ongoing institutional emancipation and recognition struggle of the art school system. This may explain why "artistic research" has been a primarily continental European affair and debate. [Native English speakers have confirmed to me that the _expression_ "artistic research" itself is borderline crude Euro English, likely just a word-by-word translation of "künstlerische Forschung" or "recherches artistiques".] Other countries including the US don't have an entirely separate higher education system for the arts. In the EU, you will conversely find no fine art departments in universities, and in most cases not even poetics and composition, let alone literary writers, as part of literature departments.

The Vienna Declaration mostly boils down to (European) art schools creating their own research labs that produce peer-reviewed lab art as an academic profession. While this is problematic, there are also good reasons for the introduction of art school PhD degrees. To give a (still fairly mainstream) example, today it is practically impossible for an art school-trained interaction or graphic designer, at least in most EU countries, to develop a research project on data visualization and submit it for a research council grant, because research funding bodies require lead researchers to have PhD degrees. In my personal utopia, PhD degrees would be abolished altogether, but that's a different story...

Florian