Emory L. on Sat, 6 Feb 2021 15:53:01 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Corrupted Crypto

I had a corrupted encrypted wallet a few years ago. I knew what I thought the password was, but it would crash the client when the wallet tried to reconcile even with a full retrieval of the blockchain to that point.

A friend of mine found a way to collide it somehow to effectively brute force it. I didn't ask the details because I wouldn't understand but I said whomever could get it recovered could have half and he did it in about a week or two.

It's possible that the purse mentioned below could be recovered through a similar method. I did have the `wallet.dat` in my possession. I remember he essentially brute forced some aspect of it and sqlite was involved that's all I remember.

I sold my half and then two months later it ran up to 20k USD or something which was a kick in the balls. It was like six bitcoin total but that was my cut from a mining pool I joined. Once GPU mining wasn't sufficient muscle I stopped mining.