James Wallbank on Thu, 11 Mar 2021 16:55:51 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> THE Q IN QONSPIRACY: QAnon as a Paradigm for Future Social-media-driven Conspiracism

I echo David's enthusiasm for this subject. It may also be worth considering the question of the nature of belief.

Many apparent extremists (I'm aware of both Brexit super-fans and Q-adjacent Trump enthusiasts, who say, "Well, we know that such-and-such isn't literally true, but we sympathise with the spirit of it."

This sort of fluid, post-rational quasi-belief is extraordinarily difficult to challenge - it's not about the facts, it's about the "vibe". The difference between actual insurrection and playing the part of a fantasy insurrectionist as live action role-play is, from the outside, imperceptible, and it may not be a distinction made by the activists themselves.

Best Regards,

James
=====