marc garrett on Sun, 14 Mar 2021 13:17:00 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> what does monetary value indicate?

Hi Felix & all,

I watched this documentary during the week, if you can get a chance to watch it I think you'll find it relevant and rewarding, in respect of the context of what society is dealing with; not in respect of incels and fascism, but also those crypto millionaires and they're ignorant of the damage (and extreme forms of misogyny) they do to the world via their actions.

"Pepe the Frog started life in 2005 as a cute cartoon character in Boy’s Club, an American indie comic on Myspace. Today, he is known as an international hate symbol after being hijacked by the alt-right. Pepe the Frog: Feels Good Man follows Pepe’s creator, artist Matt Furie, as he fights to bring back his lovable comic-book character from the dark forces who stole him.

As the internet exploded, memes of the benign and chill frog-dude started sweeping the internet with lightning speed. Once his image found its way into controversial online community 4chan – the anonymous, anything-goes forum rife with misogyny and racism - there was no turning back. Pepe re-emerged from the darkest corner of the internet decorated with swastikas and spewing racist slurs. He was even caught up in Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.

Exactly how that happened is a wild journey into the heart of online life today and an exploration of how a character meant to bring joy and fun slowly morphed into something else. Maybe, just maybe, he can change again."

Worth watching to remind ourselves what we're all up against. It isn't just about the money, it's also about dysfunctional politics, combined with sexism and revenge. (Will unpack this another time ;-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000nwrq/storyville-pepe-the-frog-feels-good-man

Wishing you well.

Marc