marcela on Sun, 9 May 2021 22:46:50 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> (re)programming: Interdependence - Anab Jain in conversation with Marta Peirano

Dear friends,

Join us at the fourth conversation of the (re)programming series and participate with your questions in the live chat!

(re)programming

Strategies for Self-Renewal
Curated and conducted by Marta Peirano
February–November 2021

STREAM #4

(re)programming: Interdependence

Post-Human Politics

With Anab Jain

MON, 10 May 2021 at 7pm CET

Join us here > https://aksioma.org/reprogramming

FB event

Anab Jain’s work transports people into the future. The evolving installation Mitigation of Shock by her studio Superflux imagines a random apartment in the London of 2050, or in a Singapore that has become a flooded city in 2219. Both are equipped with an array of DIY interventions, hydroponic farms and other tools for gathering, capturing and storing both food and water under new climate regimes. While their technical solutions are fascinating (and actually work), it is the vision that prevails: we not only survive but also thrive, as we adapt and become smarter, stronger, fitter and better acquainted with other members of the planetary society. We tell ourselves stories in order to live, but we can realise better ones.

Anab Jain is a designer, an artist and a filmmaker. She is a co-founder and Director of Superflux, a speculative design studio based in London that explores the intersections of climate crisis, technology and more-than-human politics. Along with her partner Jon Ardern, she has produced critically acclaimed films, art and installations projecting the many possible futures for humankind. She is also a teacher in the Design Investigations programme at the University of Applied Arts in Vienna. Anab has worked for some of the world’s biggest firms like Microsoft Research, Sony, Samsung and Nokia, as well as institutions like the Government of the UAE, Innovate UK, Cabinet Office UK, UNDP, Future Cities Catapult and Forum for the Future. She has exhibited work at MoMA New York, the National Museum of China and the V&A in London. She has earned honours from Apple Computers Inc., UNESCO, Geneva Human Rights Festival and TED.

Special guests: Saša Spačal, Anja Planišček and Špela Petrič

About the series

We have found ourselves at the crossroads of an existential decision: do we bring the mistakes of the enlightenment to their biological conclusion or do we develop a magical capacity to self-renew?
In the tenth edition of Tactics & Practice, the seminar and conference program led by Aksioma – Institute for Contemporary Art Ljubljana, we are going to invite world-class thinkers in crucial disciplines to discuss the ways in which we can repair our thought and behavioural patterns in order to keep us collectively safe. The series of eight interviews is curated and conducted by Marta Peirano, a writer and journalist specialized in researching the relationships between technology and power, who will seek answers to the question of what it will take for humanity to wake up and take action before it's too late. Thematic discussions, ranging from infrastructure and energy to community and artificial intelligence, will be held in English once a month. MORE

Organised and produced by: Aksioma – Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana
In partnership with: Kino Šiška – Centre for Urban Culture
For the series: Tactics & Practice
In the framework of: konS – Platform for Contemporary Investigative Art
Financial support: the Republic of Slovenia and the European Regional Development Fund of the European Union

Outreach partners: Disruption Network Lab, Drugo more, FILE Festival, Furtherfield, La Gaîté Lyrique, IMPAKT [Centre for Media Culture], The Influencers, Institute of Network Cultures, Interface Cultures/Kunstuniversität Linz, MKC Maribor, Neural,  ∏Node, Sophia, Supermarkt, We Make Money Not Art

Follow Aksioma:

Telegram > https://t.me/aksiomaorg

Facebook  > https://www.facebook.com/aksioma.org

Instagram > https://www.instagram.com/aksiomaorg/