Molly Hankwitz on Thu, 20 May 2021 04:53:14 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> International anti slavery BLM

hi
I am frequently cranky about US and Europe and have Europe envy but that might be nostalgic, but today I find this article below on this big show opening in the Netherlands about artifacts stolen from colonial people and the whole thing about giving them back...and I’m following this story with great interest. I had read about the Dutch govt giving back stuff they’d pillaged. Just as assists are becoming so invisible, right?

I teach in Art History and the post-colonial discourse has only just begun to heat up after last summer and the civil rights movement. Kathy High had sent me a document called Decentering Whiteness and  I’ve shared it to my colleagues. Its’s focused upon design. But, wondering what other strategies are being used in your worlds to counteract Western imperialist history?

Maybe there are more bridges between our continents...all this scholarship about the slave trade links us undisputedly, and now to think that BLM would be influential Holland. I’m sorry if that is no longer the name. I have often been jealous that European countries are able to change their names.

Molly

https://apnews.com/article/europe-race-and-ethnicity-slavery-global-trade-health-bc419a8e4b3c5abed828378ced37fca8