Geert Lovink on Tue, 25 May 2021 13:21:01 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> let's gather for this video vortex jam this thursday 6-8 pm cet

Video Vortex Hybrid Event: Play, Pause and Reset
Thursday, May 27, 2021, 06:00 PM CEST - 08:00 CEST

To compensate for the real life events that we are all missing so much, the VideoVortex community gathers during a hybrid event that happens both online and in the courtyard of John Cabot University in Rome. Organized and hosted by Donatella Della Ratta and Albert Figurt (in Rome) and Andreas Treske and Geert Lovink (online), we will switch between a conversation robot, Zoom, a drone and the obligatory online video screening in an experimental setup that will try to beat the overall online fatigue. Remember Malta, let’s bring on new VideoVortex gatherings! In the meanwhile, let’s preserve the spirit, see you all there

What is online video today, fifteen years into its exponential growth? What started with amateur work of YouTube prosumers has spread to virtually all communication apps: an explosion in the culture of mobile sound and vision. Now, in the age of the smart phone, video accompanies, informs, moves, and distracts us. Are you addicted yet? Look into that tiny camera, talk, move the phone, show us around — prove to others that you exist! Founded in 2007 by the Amsterdam Institute of Network Cultures, Video Vortex is a lively network of artists, activists, coders, curators, critics, and researchers that deals with all the facets of both politics and aesthetics of online video.

Live in Rome:

Gabriele MARINO / new media researcher, on zoombombing
Natalia STANUSCH / john cabot student, on memes
Marco G FERRARI / videoartist, with a site-specific short screening

Virtual on Zoom:

Patrick Lichty, Moderator/Respondent Geert Lovink
Aras Özgün, Moderator/Respondent Andreas Treske

Follow the event on YouTube and take part in our live chat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTZVIZ-t8K0

After the two hour session we want to continue playing video. Share with us your favorite playlists, your must sees … If you want to join the video jam session, contact Geert or Donatella via the known channels.