d . garcia on Wed, 15 Sep 2021 13:56:32 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> On the return of the interventionist state 7 fact-check

Hi Andreas,
many thanks for the detailed fact-check and yes I should have been more careful.

I do recognise that calling the Commissioners "unelected" was simplistic given that there the EU parliament must approve the appointments presented to them. But if I am honest this generally seems like a bit of a 'rubber stamping' operation
like consulting the kids after the adults have finished 'horse trading'
for these very powerful decision making positions. To my mind this falls well short of the even limited civic accountability we might expect in parliamentary democracy and as you conceded the EU equivalent still remains pretty weak. Why is that?

It may be worth asking ourselves why there has been this reluctance to concede more power to the Parliament if it is not a fear of anything that would disturb
the centrist neoliberal status quo.

But yes I should have been more careful in describing the interesting byzantine
mechanisms for appointing these powerful EU officials.

Best David

On 2021-09-15 12:23, Andreas Broeckmann wrote:
Dear David,

please, fact-check; this is incorrect:

the most powerful decision-making body in the EU is
the European Commission is comprised of unelected officials

You may see deficits in the following procedure, but there are in fact
elections and democratic confirmations:

"The president-elect selects potential Vice-Presidents and
Commissioners based on suggestions from EU countries. The list of
nominees has to be approved by all EU heads of state or government,
meeting in the European Council. ... Following Parliament's vote[*],
the Commissioners are appointed by the European Council. ..."

(* Remember that, in autumn 2019, the European Parliament rejected the
Romanian and Hungarian commissioners-elect first proposed by U. von
der Leyen, due to "conflicts of interest.")

If the Commission is ruled, as you claim, by a "neo-liberal
orthodoxy", then this selection process shows that the problem is much
bigger than just the assembly of Commissioners. (And arguably the EU
of 2021 is not any more the EU of 2010.)

Moreover, the "most powerful decision-making body in the EU" is
clearly the European Council:

"The members of the European Council are the heads of state or
government of the 27 EU member states, the European Council President
and the President of the European Commission."

As we have seen in the last years, the role of the European Parliament
has been strengthened gradually, if too slowly.

Otherwise, thank you for pointing out some of the problematic concepts
and levels of argumentation in the reference text!

Regards,
-a