Joseph Rabie on Sat, 6 Nov 2021 01:22:59 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> “Meta”

> ...out pops, the shiny forehead of zuck to suggest his "new vision of meta" - name-changer for FB, re-branding never profited so good...

I wonder if the Zuckerberg (Sugar Mountain) big new meta vision has only to do with getting Facebook botoxed, or if it is some sort of preemptive strike before Apple comes out with their very own virtual reality headgear, apparently in the works. After all, Zuckerberg has never had the imagination to really do anything with Oculus, beyond taking over the company that made it.

One can presume that Apple will conceive of that sort of virtual reality as the centre of an entire ecology (the metaphor is badly chosen, but no other comes to mind) of things. In the same way that the iPhone derived meaning from apps, it will be the locus of a carefully constructed ersatz but nonetheless highly efficient and seductive environment.

Zuckerberg is probably shitting himself at the thought that the metavers will be all about “Think Apple”, and that Facebook will just be a part.

Joe

Sent from my lawn-mower