Geoffrey Goodell on Sat, 5 Feb 2022 15:20:07 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> CfP: Critical reflections on pandemic politics:, left-wing, feminist and anti-racist critiques

Dear Carlo

Thank you very much for your thoughtful exploration --

I think many of the parties on both sides of this debate are missing the bigger
picture.

For the sake of argument, suppose that we are agnostic about:

(a) whether vaccinations should be a condition of entry to popular venues,

(b) whether the management of popular private venues can demand documents from
their patrons and deny admission to individuals on the basis of their
vaccination status, and

(c) whether the management of popular private venues can be held liable for
failing to enforce rules of behaviour or entry on the basis of their
vaccination status.

Even in this case, we should still be concerned with the 'vaccine passport'
schemes that have been established in Europe and elsewhere in the world.  The
reason is not about whether government should interfere with private commerce
or gatherings, nor about whether private venues have a right to discriminate
against certain persons.  Although those are valid concerns, they can be
weighed against the interests of public health.

The problem, which in my view is the elephant in the room, is about the extent
to which governments and other actors can use the 'vaccine passport' systems to
track the habits, movements, and circumstances of individual persons as they
engage in routine activities.

Consider:

(1) Many 'vaccine passport' schemes encourage, or even require, individuals to
carry with them mobile devices with a range of identification information
on-board, such as mobile phone numbers, IMEI, secure enclave keys, and so on,
and to install certain software on those devices.  Even if we were to assume
that the software would strictly conform to free software guidelines and be
subject to rigorous security auditing, a plethora of metadata (think location,
IP address, and so on) would nonetheless be available to such applications and
the network services that they use.  To assume that such metadata would not be
accessible to the platform operators, or to the police, or to criminal
organisations would be a profound miscalculation.  Although many governments
provide a way for people to use their 'vaccine passport' schemes without mobile
devices, such paths are often cumbersome and de facto discouraged.

(2) It is still possible to avoid mobile devices (thankfully), but even the
paper forms have are problematic, following from the dubious but
widely-accepted assertion that the preponderance of counterfeit documentation
justifies online verification.  Specifically, they often include barcodes or QR
codes that reference a specific database entry that the issuer had associated
with the documented person.  This means that the online verification service
knows who is using the 'vaccine passport' scheme, both the data subject and the
venue performing the check (the relying party).  As a result, the online
verification service has access to time and location information about every
check that is performed, and that information can be used to track the movement
and behaviour of the data subject from venue to venue over time.  By and large,
the online verification services are not issuing barcodes or QR codes via blind
signature schemes or zero-knowledge proofs to allow data subjects to isolate
their identities from the verification step, nor are they circulating databases
of hash values to relying parties so that the checking could be done without
phoning home.  (Also, the argument about counterfeit documentation has often
been combined with distrust of human document verifiers to promote the use of
digital identity proofing, e.g. via biometrics, thus raising even more human
rights concerns along with the question of whose security we are protecting.)

(3) Even if we assume that the governments issuing 'vaccine passports' are
truly benign, the data subject is expected to present the same barcode every
time, meaning that the venues doing the scanning can pool their knowledge of
the barcodes they have seen to build profiles of data subjects.  We could
imagine working around this by issuing a series of cryptographically unrelated
one-time keys to scan, although by and large, this has not been done.

So we're in a tough spot.  Too many people use apps that leak metadata that
compromise their privacy, and even with the paper system, electronic
verification exposes individuals to privacy risks.

We have optimised the 'vaccine passport' systems to make individual persons
accountable.  As a result, the public has lost essential freedom.

Best wishes --

Geoff