Ted Byfield on Wed, 6 Apr 2022 20:22:22 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Further on Greg Yugin and Russian facism

Happy (and not not) to say I agree with all of this — really well put, Brian. Two thoughts:

(1) As you probably know, "lustration" also refers to a more or less formal process of governmental and social transformation — basically, an alternative to more rigorous truth-and-reconciliation processes. There are many people on this list who know much more than I do, but it's my understanding that lustration was the generic term for describing "decommunization" processes in many Eastern Bloc countries after the fall of the wall. Its use now, in addition to the religious connotations you note, is also just trollish revanchism.

(2) Much more US-centric: Mark Milley, the head of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, said a few days ago: "It's a bit early, still, even though we're a month plus into the war. There is much of the ground war left in Ukraine, but I do think this is a very protracted conflict. And I think it's at least measured in years." I haven't seen the larger context of his comments, so it could be that he clarified exactly what he meant; but it's hard to imagine that high-ups, particularly in the US, see a viable path toward peace and normal relations anytime soon. And the neocons, always thirsty for war, are no doubt back in force telling everyone who'll listen "I told you so."

It's hard to speculate further without bumping into the 800-pound gorilla of Russian interventions in US elections. Sanctions will make them more difficult, and being associated with Russians and their wealth will be déclassé for all but the most rightists. But the US has a habit of making things about itself, and this is an especially inappropriate time for that. Having said that, a great deal will hinge on which party wins in the Congressional elections this year and, yes, the presidential ones two years from now.

Not all: Putin is older and (I think) much frailer than he looks, so the question of who'll succeed him is surely in the air. The shortest path to peace would be for Putin to be ousted and whatever regime follows to trade on that transition to restore relations. Putin knows that, and will escalate and exacerbate everything he can to make that impossible.

Cheers,
Ted