Keith Sanborn on Wed, 20 Jul 2022 02:07:14 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> I Am For... 1961

And don’t forget his stop frame live animation “Fat Feet.”

On Jul 19, 2022, at 7:52 PM, Molly Hankwitz <mollyhankwitz@gmail.com> wrote:

dear d.garcia,

thank you for posting this manifesto/poem. i read that Oldenburg had died yesterday. another legend to say goodbye to. unfortunately, artists get recognized and then they get interpreted, frequently badly by curators, buyers, art historians and theorists who place them and put them. Often what is said has nothing to do with why or how the artist did what they did and then conceptually, everyone went against this problem  and wanted to self-represent so as to be understood, or so that they would not be misunderstood and then were misunderstood years later when the "simplicity" of making material objects produced less dissonance. thank you for publishing his own words.

his art can be seen as "bloated corporate pop art" - but, i'd like to credit him with having made art more accessible to people, and for bridging gaps in low-high thinking about art, and certainly as a welcome counter move to AbEX bravado, even with his exaggerated scale.

today his iconic works can and should be critiqued for their benign, mid-century modernist appeal, maybe. nationalist? colonialist? banal? white-bred? maybe...democratic...i'd like to think more along these lines... pie, baseball, hamburgers -  there is nothing edgy about these objects and by today's critical standards they may even appear to likeable to be art. not half the critical wit of Duane Hanson, but then, which one would you put in your yard? if you have a yard...he made many of the 'bloated' pieces in the early 1960s right about the time of this text you sent. i am going to give this to  my students

Oldenburg brought a non-intimidating abstraction to art - by appealing to ordinary things and people and at a monumental scale. He boosted the little guy or gal; the one who made the pie with meringue. They are ordinary and democratic. There is something to be said for that as lasting monumental mementos of what may now be a failing democracy.

The baseball bat in Chicago is hollow.  So tall. Rusting. Admirably iconic engineering achievement in this way, and yet, a kind of surreal Magritte's comb amidst smaller buildings and structures. Left behind by a giant player.

You can say, why make an icon like that, but I think it is more a relic that no one else thought to make. It doesn't exactly celebrate baseball, more the form of the bat. the giant diaper pin at the deYoung is similarly. Not an orgiastic nod to diaper-changing, rather, it is about the peculiar form of abstraction that occurs when something is oversized and maybe it is a monument to the decades before Pampers!

soft sculpture pieces are made from toxic awful materials probably, but i still like them.

lastly, the Ray Gun Museum is brilliant, as is the Mouse Museum. These works were so evocative when I saw them in New York in about 1987.

early installation of a slanted banal motel room is also brilliant. forgot title.

RIP Claes Oldenburg - he left so much behind to grace the landscape.

Benign can be a good thing

molly