Pit Schultz on Thu, 21 Mar 96 16:10 MET

nettime: Resist 96

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 21:57:29 -0500
From: JSalloum@aol.com
To: nettime@is.in-berlin.de
cc: list@rhizome.com
Subject: Fwd: Re: English Only

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:   74720.1542@compuserve.com (Dread Scott)
To:     l-ketzenberg@ski.mskcc.org (Laurie Ketzenberg)
CC:     dhalleck@weber.ucsd.edu (Didi Halleck), jsalloum@aol.com (Jayce Salloum)
Date: 96-03-20 19:51:16 EST

Hi all resisters
Here is the latest version of the Resist 96 call for you. Resist 96 is the
3rd national conference Refuse&Resist! has organised. It will bring together
people/communities/organisations from around the country that are determined
to stop the rise of the Right. List of workshops still evolving; if you want
to organize one or have suggestions for input to existing titles please get
in touch. Be there to build the climate and network of resistance
nationally, and share first-hand experience and tactics, as well as for the
inspiring 'Courageous Resister Awards'.
Pre-register for Resist 96 and help make it happen. If you can't come, how
about helping someone else with travel and registration costs.
For those who have requested R&R! starter packs with ideas and materials for
starting your own chapter, please send membership fee plus $5 for the
starter pack, and your snail mail address for return. Anyone who wants to
get our regular mailings of R&R! materials and 'Counterattack' magazine, and
generally be part of and support what we do, please join (and send snail
mail address). Organizations can also join as affiliate members ($35.00) and
receive same things.

Email this copy of the Call for RESIST 96 Everywhere!
Know of a mailing list or newsgroup that should see this document?
Copy/paste or save this text and use it to get the word out everywhere.

Register now for RESIST 96, a national assembly against the whole right-wing
agenda. RESIST 96, the 3rd National Conference of Refuse & Resist!, will be
held at the City College of New York and Cathedral of St. John the Devine,
APRIL 26-28. Phone 212-713-5657, e-mail refuse@calyx.com, web site:
http://www.calyx.com/~resist/

It's all one attack! The resurgent racism, the current war on women, the
concentration camps for immigrants, the censorship of the arts, the police
state measures, gay bashing, and compulsory patriotism. One organization says
NO to the WHOLE package: Refuse & Resist! It's time to go on the offense with
a movement that is more than fragmented responses. Join Refuse & Resist!

The call to RESIST 96:

A new politics of cruelty rules the land. All of our futures are in jeopardy,
unless we understand it, resist it, and stop it. While stock markets
skyrocket and the rich get immensely richer, economic and quality of life
disaster stalk millions. Jobs are being eliminated by the hundreds of
thousands. Wages for those who have jobs slide to ever lower levels. Medical
benefits for the poor and elderly are being gutted. There is an attempt to
channel the fear and anxiety of the middle class against those on the
bottom. People of color, women and immigrants are blamed for all that is
wrong. Special attempts are made to scapegoat, isolate and attack
African-Americans. There has been resistance.
People have defended abortion clinics, fought against police brutality, and
challenged the religious right's purging of local libraries in the suburbs.
Movements have arisen to defend the rights of immigrants and preserve
affirmative action, and students have fought cuts in education. And the
planned execution of dissident journalist Mumia Abu-Jamal was halted last
summer. But this resistance must become more widespread, more comprehensive,
and more organized. Put bluntly, the politically powerful are putting into
place a lot of the ideology and police powers of fascism, and our efforts
have not been equal to either the enormity of their program or the
viciousness of their attacks. With so much at stake, Refuse & Resist! is
calling you to a national assembly u RESIST 96. We need all who are working
to stop the politics of meanness forged by the right. Come to RESIST 96 and
let us put a real counter
force into practice by

* breaking the national debate out of the narrow confines set by the right wing
* building a fighting alliance between the targeted poor and the middle class
* forging unity between women and men, between people of color and white
people, between immigrant and native born, by launching the broadest possible
response to all the attacks
* taking resistance to a higher level by linking those already resisting
around the country into a national network and building Refuse & Resist!
* celebrating our resistance and the future that are ours through
performance and art.

RESIST 96 offers an opportunity to learn from and develop the best experience
from around the country into actual and workable programs on key national
fronts. There will be workshops, that go deeply into key battles and
important questions, and major sessions to strengthen the links and
organization necessary for resistance today.

To the racists and women haters
To the gay-bashers and welfare slashers
To the prison builders and executioners
We say: the future is not yours.

REFUSE THE POLITICS OF CRUELTY
UNLEASH A SPIRIT OF RESISTANCE
--end of call--

Projected Workshops for RESIST 96

>>Front-line Struggles Workshops:<<
Defending Affirmative Action
Resisting the New Laws Attacking Immigrants
Borders, Concentration Camps and Workplace Abuses and "English Only"
How to Stop the Attacks on Abortion Clinics and Doctors
Defeating the Campaign to Pit White Women against Black Men (and Shut Black
Women Out of the Debate!)
Big Brotherism in Computers and Communications
Is Mark Fuhrman Really an Exception?
The Battle to Save Mumia Abu-Jamal
Right-wing Takeovers of Local School and Library Boards
Taking on Gay Bashing and State Legislated Homophobia
The Phony "War on Drugs" and the Criminalizing of Black Youth
Graffiti and Public Art
Beating Back Cutbacks
Stop the Killing Machine (over 3,000 are now on death row)
The New Censorship
The Clinton-Gingrich Police Program (more cops and fewer rights)
Political Prisoners
The Lost Generation? (Youth today)
Politicians Plot (plans for Democratic and GOP presidential conventions)

>>Analysis and History Workshops:<<
Why Abortion is Not "Baby Killing" (and refuting other lies about women)
How Real Is the Threat of Fascism? Comparisons with Weimar Germany
Christian Fundamentalist and Paramilitary Groups on the Right
Is There a Program of Genocide Being Put in Place? (for African-Americans)
Confronting the Lie that Our Social Behaviour is Controlled by Our Inherited
Genes Resistance in Art and Culture A Case Study in Mass Resistance: Denmark
under Nazi Occupation

>>Hands-on Workshops:<<
How to Keep Government Snoops from Reading your Computer Files
Overcoming Fragmentation (how differing groups can work together on
resistance while respecting differences)
Investigating the Right and Dealing with Agents
Fighting Political Trials
How to Start a Chapter of Refuse & Resist
Fund Raising

In addition to the workshops there will be plenary sessions with major
speakers, a resistance expo where groups and campaigns can share their
information, the presentation of Courageous Resister awards by Refuse &
Resist!, entertainment and displays, and video showings. Organizations and
groups who would like to participate in the expo should contact the R&R
National Office. Staff volunteers for RESIST 96 are needed and welcome. Come be
a part of making it happen!

* * *

Refuse & Resist! was founded in 1987 in response to a call signed by 18
well-known political and cultural resisters including Emile de Antonio,
Dennis Brutus, Abbie Hoffman, Clark Kissinger, Bill Kunstler, Conrad Lynn,
Sonia
Sanchez, and Leonard Weinglass. This stirring call was eventually signed by
over 4,000 people from Nobel laureates to housing project tenants. The
purpose of Refuse & Resist! has been to build a nation-wide climate and
culture of resistance. Our practice has been to speak out, to act, and to
refuse to be
complicit. R&R was the first national organization to call for the mass
defense of abortion clinics, the first national organization to call on
troops to refuse to serve in the Gulf War, and the first national
organization to come to the defense of the LA4 and the thousands arrested in
the 1992 Los Angeles Rebellion.

To resister for RESIST 96, please send the following information to R&R, 305
Madison Ave., #1166, New York, NY 10165

___ I enclose $25 reduced advance registration fee for RESIST 96
(Reduced fee available thru April 15. Admission to Saturday evening awards
program extra.)
___ I enclose $45 for reduced advance registration fee plus new/renewed R&R
membership (All welcome to closing plenary session, but current R&R
membership required to vote.) ___ I really hate the vicious right-wing
attack, so I have enclosed an additional $_______ contribution! ___ I want
to help organize for the assembly in my area. Please contact me.

Name_____________________________________________________

___ I have enclosed the names and addresses of other people who should get
this material.

Contact Refuse
& Resist! 305 Madison Ave., Suite 1166, New York, NY 10165
Phone: 212-713-5657
email: refuse@calyx.com