David Kavanaght on Fri, 3 Jan 97 13:25 MET

nettime: Are you interested in the IDAPB?

Please note: This is a standard message from COBP, Citoyens-nes
opposes-es a la brutalite policiere (Citizens Against Police
Brutality) to all groups and individuals that we have contacted
within the last two months by e-mail. We haven't yet received an
answer of whether or not you would be interested in participating
in the "International Day Against Police Brutality" (IDAPB) on
Saturday, March 15th, 1997.

We, at COBP, have now made numerous contacts with various groups,
in many countries, who will be participating in the IDAPB.

People all over the world are standing up, outraged at police
brutality, and rightly so.

Here is a short account for those of you who would like to know how
COBP came into being.

On April 25th, 1995, the fascist-catholic organization "Human Life
International" made a visit to Montreal. HLI makes no qualms of who
they are and what they represent. They are anti-immigrant, racist,
anti-semite, homophobic, anti-women, and anti-choice.

Thousands of Montrealers came out to protest against these fascists
and also to play cat and mouse with the riot and under-cover
kkkops. Not surprisingly, anti-fascists were arrested.

Shortly after this demonstration COBP was formed. Two of the
founding members of COBP were among the protesters that were
arrested.

Here is a brief discription of our group:

We are a committee that defends human rights, composed of people
who are close to those who are often the target of police
brutality. The people that are victims of police brutality are
representives of ethnic communities, marginalized youth, small
political groups, the homeless, prostitutes, gay, lesbian, and
transgendered persons, youth, drug users or ordinary citizens who
have dared to question police authority.

Our committee concentrates on the police's abuses of power
particularily those of the Police Service of the Montreal Urban
Community. These Abuses often consist of punches, blows with clubs
or flashlights. However police brutality is also harassment,
intimidation, false testimonies, the fabrication of evidence, false
accusations, disagreeable or discriminatory remarks. It can be as
serious as homicide, whether caused by criminal neglience or
hatred.

We work on five major areas: the studying of problematics, the
circulation of information, researching solutions, prevention and
help for victims. We are present on the field as observers, for
example: at demonstrations, parks, and other "hot spots". We supply
people who may be potenial victims, tools in order that they become
aware of their rights as well as the means to prevent police
abuses. We intervene with the media and with consultive authorities
from different levels of the government.

In our support of victims we take seriously the task to empower
themselves in their own defence while helping them in their steps
to obtain justice. We are working at elaborating a Copwatch program
with special interest groups and in well known areas determined by
their high levels of abuse.

First off we'd like to say that COBP has never before communicated
at a large scale with groups from various corners of the globe
before deciding to help launch this project with the "Drapeau Noir"
in Switzerland. We have learned by doing. We had no list of e-mail
addresses to start off with so we surfed the internet under
headings such as police brutality, anti-racist collectives, anti-
fascist collectives, etc. and when sending out our message we asked
that individuals and groups spread the word. So consequently the
information that we've received from groups is not conclusive and
not necessarily 100% correct. So if you are interested in
participating in any which way, could you please let us know and
answer whichever questions you can below.

The name of the collective or organization, the address (at least
the city, state or province, country). Please note: just because
we've been in contact with you doesn't mean that we have all the
particulars, or that they are correct. If there is any doubt,
please send us this information.

Is there a certain person or persons that you would like the
messages addressed to?

Would you like us to make up an e-mail/address list that could be
shared with all participating groups? If you are interested please
notify us.

Have you decided as of yet what you'll be doing? If so, could you
give us a brief discription. If for some reason your activites must
be kept secret, don't mention anything. Remember our e-mail can be
intercepted at any moment.

Has your group been in contact with other groups that are
interested in the International Day Against Police Brutality? If
so, have these groups been able to contact us?

There are also other groups that work on police brutality issues
(and who will be participating on the International Day of Protest,
March 15th) that would appreciate this information because they'll
be broadcasting it on radio and/or writing articles in progressive
magazines. Having some basic information will give the IDAPB more
credibility to listeners and readers alike.

Also we have at our disposition, an article, written by a
Montrealer, about fascist groups in Quebec. If you are interested
in the article, we can send it to you by e-mail. However it is only
available in english and french.

If you've decided for whatever reason not to participate, would you
you be interested in exchanging information about police brutality?

Our address is as follows:

COBP
2209 rue Joliette
Montreal, Quebec
Canada  H1W 3G5

Contact persons for the IDAPB are: Dee, Caroline, or David.

Our telephone number is: 514-524-9109  (note: our country code is
1, though we doubt that groups would be phoning us outside of
Canada or the United States view of the fact that overseas long
distance calls don't make any sense when we've got e-mail)

We do not have a FAX machine. Sorry.

We hope to hear from you,

Dee and Caroline