Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 14:12:45 -0500 (EST)
From: Jesse Hirsh <jesse@tao.ca>
To: freemcluhan@tao.ca
Subject: mcluhan: don't believe the hype

Holy Spins Batman, the McLuhan Project declared Information Warfare!

Well I reply with peace.

I did not steal the mcluhan-list, I did not rape anyone.

I am a lover, not a fighter.

This is public space, I walked into the room, and invited the friends of mcluhan
to the seminars continued in his name.

My name is Jesse Hirsh, I am 22, and I am the Director of the New Media Unit at the
McLuhan Program in Culture and Technology at the University of Toronto. The
program is a not-for-profit organization in the University of Toronto. I am both
a volunteer and student at the program. The seminars are free and open to the
public. There are no commercial interests associated with the seminars or these
postings.

We have brought back the Monday Night Seminars as a free gift to the people.
McLuhan Scholars of past generations have in-fought over the orthodoxy of
McLuhan. Factions have arisen like a childish techno-clergy.

I am the new generation, and I come in peace and unity.

I organize the seminars with the help of Eric McLuhan, Derrick de Kerkchove, Liss
Jeffrey, and any other member of the McLuhan Community who wishes to revive the
spirit of life and innovation inherent in the name.

In fact my friend Nelson Thall, even had this to say:

>Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 20:01:21 -0500
>From: Nelthall@aol.com
>To: jesse@tao.ca
>Subject: Reply
>
>Best regards on your seminars.

And I thank dear Nelson for his kind words, as he is someone who I deeply respect
and admire. In fact it was my intention this morning (before this attack) to
invite him to be a speaker for one of the seminars. (Interested Nelson?)

I am the digital generation. I know not walls or barriers, privacy or property.
We are redefining public space, and an email list is as much a room, as it is for
one and all.

I am 'McLuhan in Action', the existential hacker of the datashpere who
lives the medium as message. I have taken the teachings from 1964
Understanding Media and have integrated them into 1997 life. I am the
living probe that explores the externalized global brain. I am the
generation that will truly 'hack the planet'.

I did not steal this list. I did not break into any computers to get it. As a
longstanding member of the mcluhan-list I had access to the list membership just
like everyone else. All I had to do was send an email to
majordomo@astral.magic.ca with the command 'who mcluhan-list'. I then received an
email with all the members of the list. I didn't even leave my email program.

My new friend spencer had this to say:

>Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 08:11:40 -0500
>From: spencer cosmos <spencer@his.com>
>To: jesse@tao.ca
>Subject: re: "theft" of McLuhan"
>
>Go, Jesse, Go!  Someday, someone is going to convince somebody that
>thought is not property and needn't be "authorized."
>
>spencer Cosmos
>scosmos@usa.net

The person who runs the mcluhan-list is named Robert. Robert I believe you owe
any woman (or man) who has been raped an apology. Claiming that I raped the
list is absurd, and detracts from the seriousness and severity associated with
the word. Only a man would use it in such a way.

Your response was childish and reactionary. You cannot own a list of subscribers,
and you cannot control what is posted to it. When a group of people converge in a
room you cannot control what they talk about.

When I logged into my server this morning (I own and run tao.ca) I had a 250mb
collection of mail bombs. My server was effectively shut down, and my account
sabotaged. This is contrary to the federal criminal code, section 462.2, computer
mischief, with a maximum penalty of 10 years and $10,000. I am at this point
debating whether I should call my friend, the computer crime speicalist at 52
Division here in Toronto, and ask him to press charges. My server logs have full
records of all involved. I have broken no laws, but instead I have been subject
to libel and attack. I'd appreciate hearing what others think of this course of
action.

I had only intended to use this list once. I greatly enjoy the mcluhan-list and
do not want to hamper its continued operation. After this message I will not use
this list again. Although all of you may be certain that you will hear from me
again, as I am very active, vocal, and involved in the continued development of
'McLuhan Scholarship'. All requests to be removed have and will be ignored, as
this list 'does not exist'.

In the short while that this incident has been going on I have been contacted by
a number of media outlets. Please consider this my formal statement, and I can be
reached for further comment at either jesse@tao.ca or at the McLuhan Program at
416-978-7026

As for those folk still interested in the seminars, I have set up a new list
called seminars@tao.ca. To subscribe send an email to majordomo@tao.ca with the
message subscribe seminars in the body of the message.

Folk interested in participating via videoconference are encouraged to resend
their request as many were lost during the attack.

Anyone interested in obtaining a copy of the members of the 'mcluhan-list' are
invited to send email to majordomo@astral.magic.ca with the command:
'who mcluhan-list' in the body of the message.

I apologize for any inconveniences of any sort.
Peace and Happy New Year to All

Jesse Hirsh

http://www.tao.ca/~jesse